So one of my blogging friends and more importantly, real life friend, Molly, posted some pictures of her adorable studio on facebook. I thought I would analyze why everything she did was "so right" and why I need to figure out how to use her techniques in our rented space!
Here's her living area

First why it's "So Right":
1. She didnt paint it some funky color- she used the existing wall color and managed to make it warm and inviting
2. It looks exactly like it's out of younghouselove.com which is one of my favorite sites
3. She used a variety of prints and patterns and they dont compete but look fabulous
4. She has interesting, eclectic pieces that are warm but not too "old" looking for a newlywed couple
5. There's zebra in the room- literally a requirement for me
6. She has great textiles- this really makes the space look fancy and inviting. I love the stripes on the couch and the green chair is such a fun addition
7. That little frame over in the corner- how great is that blue frame? So interesting and chic. It adds a girlie spin on the space without making the whole place seem feminine.
8. It feels "homey". Now I'm not sure, but Molly and Joe might still be adjusting to up north and might still call SC home, but this place looks great. It looks like they are settled. It doesn't look like a first apartment (that's a super good thing)!
And second, why I so need to do some of this:
1. Her space is inviting. Lots of times, I feel like going with black makes our apartment "cold" or too "harsh." Molly's use of textiles and interesting lamps adds to a black tv stand, black frames, and a white coffee table (all very similar to pieces to what is in our place) but makes them seem cohesive and not to contrasty.
2. She has great space planning. This is also part of the STUDIO:

3. Her couch- ahhh the beauty of having a piece that you dont want to cover up 24/7. I loathe (yep that's right I went for it and said loathe) the slipcovers. They swallow you while you are taking a nap, never stay on, and generally are not that attractive after their 4th year of use. Also, Mattie tries to beat them up at least twice a day (chasing the ties, general psycho kittyness). I tried getting different ones. Same problem. I think I just dont like the look and feel of a slipcover. I want upholstery. Better yet, I want to learn to upholster so I can have a cute, striped couch too.
4. Because she didnt freak out when it looked like this:

and managed to "finish the project." Above our bed has been blank for 1.2 years now. No inspiration. I have made and taken down 3 different versions of things above our couch. Yep I'm a design quitter :(
5. Lastly, I need to take cues from Molly because she used all of my favorite colors. Green, check! Orange, check! Orange next to black without it looking like Halloween, check! Brown and black furniture mixed with white, check!

Fantastic job Fornadels! It's beautiful! We need design tutorials!
No comments:
Post a Comment