Friday, October 23, 2009

Derek visits and Trivia Night

Last night was a very full evening. Usually I have little to do and watch about 3.5 hours of tv on a Thursday (remember that we are addicted to Flash Forward) but yesterday was different. First we met Jake and Caitlin at the Med in downtown Boulder for happy hour/dinner which was delicious and everything was in small portions so we got to try a lot of different things. Then we left to go pick up Derek from the airport and made the drive back to Boulder to go to trivia night. I was pretty psyched because I believed I might be one of the few people who could spout off random celebrity marriages along with Pop Culture in the town of people who like to chain themselves to trees. I mean knowing the first video that ran on MTV should come in handy some day! What about the day that the "Who Shot JR" episode of Dallas ran? I know that one too!

I figured I had this in the bag. Oh wait... it was law school trivia night which meant they had categories that included art, literature, and science. (Running through my head: "Am I at a bar or taking a TAKS test?") There were questions like "explain the origins of a jack o'lantern," "what is the official spirit of the US" and "what piece of famous literature is this quote from?" Whomp, whomp, waaa. These answers are not found in people magazine AND they aren't in calculus texts either thus I was rendered useless for almost all questions except identify the art (yep famous paintings) and even then I only got like four. Who in their right mind knows who painted "Girl with a Pearl Earring?" (Ten points if you respond to the post with the answer WITHOUT googling it)

Needless to say, my large, public school, business education did not even compete with a room full of liberal arts grads currently getting doctorates and screaming at the top of their lungs "HARPER LEE!! IT'S HARPER LEE"

Oh well- it was fun anyway. Excited for a good weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I read People magazine and still can't remember who's married to who or what's happening in the Pop Culture. . . I think I heard that Michael Jackson died.

    Have a great weekend with Derek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog cracks me up! If art was all you could get, I would have just had to sit there!!! Hope y'all had a fun weekend! Did you get all dressed up in your costumes? Please post pics if you did! Did you hear the Aggies beat Tech in Lubbock last night? Too bad the game wasn't on TV so I could witness it. Hopefully their good luck with carry to next week when I go to the game with Michelle!!! I can't wait to get back to Aggieland for some Aggie Football, Blue Baker and the T-Shirt Tent Sale! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete