So you ask, then how the hell do you have enough clothes to only do laundry once a month? It's fantastic! I love to shop and I believe it's genetic so my mom and sister looked after me and still do. I still get some packages with great sale items they found (which is WONDERFUL because I guess Flatirons Mall does not believe in sales). I am very lucky that they send me goodies and that it didn't stop when I went from Miss to Mrs. Plus, each of them are very good little hunters. I mention something and they can seek it out or find just the perfect item. It's great. BUT this leads me to continuing my hording (because it's not necessary to buy other things since now I have a good collection) and bartering in my head to purchase things.
You would think maybe I'm just contemplative. Better than impulsive but sometimes it makes me nuts. It took me 7 months to spend the money on a haircut (total: $45), two years to buy myself new running shoes (total: $105), and now I have been obsessing about a camera and a sewing machine for about six months (total: much higher than the other two which makes me think I might be writing a post about them in four years). Sometimes I wish I would just go out and buy them and get the wanting out of the way but I have this weird policy where there is allowed one "reward" for myself a month. If we have already spent it, no such luck. Yesterday I bought two dresses at TJ Maxx (also of note, these "rewards" are not Chanel because we are still paying for law school) and today I feel guilty. I got running shoes last month AND a new shirt from old navy AND skiing. That means I'm in the red for three months. I have the WORST spender's remorse. One dress was $15 which was a steal. I think I will wear that one (If I dont eat dinner haha) and take the other one back ($35). Then I start doing this math equation in my head of if I didn't buy the dress, I could have 1/54th of my camera haha.
So I save. Naturally, you all think ok you save then you reap the benefits of your maturity with money and patience. Nope. I feel guilty even after I save it. Thus the hoarding. I figure I should use it for law school or something we actually need (i.e. the $3 cat toy I bought Matt yesterday or skiing... yes there is no rhyme or reason).
I attribute this obsessive compulsive nature and discipline to my father only his is better focused. He can tell himself "no" for any food and cut salt out of his diet just because (I think he has given up several things for lent even though we aren't Catholic... just to do it). I'm impressed and think I would have to buy less clothes (and therefore save more 1/45ths) if I could do this with food. Oh well. Do you do anything silly that you can look at from a 3rd person perspective and know you are slightly (being generous) crazy?
I have the same saving issue. Clay normally has to talk me into buying things even when it's something I need like work clothes. But if it's an experience I have no issue spending the money.
ReplyDeleteI bet you still have all the glittery quarters that you got from the Tooth Fairy along with every gift card that you have been given! Keep hoarding that money and you can take care of me in my old age because I won't have any $$$$$$ because I will have spent mine!
ReplyDeleteMan, I wish I had a little bit of your hoarding in me! I think I hit Loft just about every weekend to peruse the Sale Rack and to find things I just must have! I seem to always come home with something that I just NEEDED! But, I do have to say I always shop the sale racks!! :) That is a step in the right direction, correct?? P.S. - You better start spending some of those gift cards because they expire eventually (and yes, I know you have BOXES of unused gift cards)!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteI've been enjoying your posts for a while now and never made a comment but here goes...Does that mean you still have the Target gift card we gave you for high school graduation?! Please spend it!!! Okay, let me explain the LonestarWizzz thing. I's actually Bill's account but I don't know how to do this blog comment thing and I wanted to make a comment sooo..Hi Allison and Brent. It's Linda Stem! I've been snooping in your life for a while now.
ReplyDelete