What's a girl to do? A key component of blogging is pictures.
Lucky for me (and you), I did back up my phone a while ago and still have photos of one of my finer culinary moments. A little back story:
When we first moved to Colorado, I had no idea what the hell I was doing in the kitchen. Most recipes sounded disgusting since I eat approx. 3 types of food (Mexican, Italian, and Southern). I tried making frozen stuff, ended up being hurt in the kitchen, got a little more adventurous, and eventually created a little foodie feature. Then my cooking life changed. I met The Pioneer Woman. Thanks to her how-to pictures, I started feeling super confident. I had several successful dinner parties under my belt and might have been feeling a little invincible.
Enter Martha Stewart Slow Cooker Tacos.
I must reveal that I havent really used my slow cooker because I was totally intimidated by it's extreme power when it BOILED my queso for the Superbowl. Since then, it has quietly sat in the cabinet with the electric knife I will someday use (for when we can afford a Mexican fajita fiesta). Well since I had a little kitchen swagger, I pulled that puppy out and decided to make Slow Cooker Chili Chicken Tacos from Martha Stewart. I had conquered a few of her recipes in the past so this one would be no problem.
After all, the comments literally say, "So good and so easy. Great for soft tacos or chicken nachos too!" Or let me make sure to highlight this one, "The simplest recipe I have ever made and one of the tastiest! Prep time is literally 5 minutes. Sooooo Delicious!" And how could I forget the best, "I am known as the girl who can't cook but - this recipe proved them all wrong! Everybody loved it and was raving about it." Now granite the last one was from a girl who's name is "FutureDoc," but this couldnt be that hard.
Here's what the tacos are supposed to look like:

And here's how mine turned out:
These are literally the last pictures preserved on my camera from the past few weeks. THANK GOODNESS I didnt lose these. How would I have survived?
Luckily I laughed when I opened the pot and saw the totally fried (but not in a good way) chicken balls. Brent said, "Ummm that smells good," which made me question my cooking skills in general. Then he saw it. Then he realized that I didnt have enough elbow grease alive to clean that sucker and it dawned on him that this just became his problem. After 4-5 times of soaking (lost count) and scrubbing, the pot came clean.
Let's just say, this photo memory was critical to keeping my cooking hubris in check.


Ah, learning to cook and crock pots. Brings back memories...
ReplyDeletehttp://alysonklein.blogspot.com/2008/09/chili-cookoff.html
Looks like you made chicken rocks! I think these beat my yummy pork chop recipe!!!! You better give up Martha and stick with the P. Woman!
ReplyDeleteThis is too funny! Glad you are back to blogging! I've missed your witty writing! I'd love to hear more about all the things you mentioned above - broken nose, official Colorado resident, Mattie's new hobby... I guess you'll have to tell me IN PERSON in a few weeks....HOORAY!! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteThat's hilarious! Keep trying. I don't know how to cook either that's why I married a man who can cook. In your case just keep trying!
ReplyDeleteOh and a pic of Brent with a black eye would have been great!