Brent called the doctor at about 5am and we got the nurse line. They recommended that I continue to labor at home for a bit but said we could go to the hospital at any time and they were notifying them that we would be in that morning. We waited about another 30-45 minutes but they were getting stronger and the snow was supposed to be coming so we decided to head in. The photos tell lots of the rest of the story!
Packed up and ready to go with tons extra!
The contractions were coming about every 5.5 minutes and lasting a while.
Henry's room was ready and waiting for him.
One last snapshot of a baby-less baby nursery.
Mattie was unsure of what was happening but really pleased to get a pouchie in the MORNING!
A couple of last snapshots of us before we go. The contractions were strong at this point but not unbearable.
A home to 3, waiting on the 4th.
Heading to the hospital- the real deal!
Our last family portrait before Mr. H. Also the last photo where you can see Henry inside.
After we got checked in, the snow started coming down and kept coming. The temperature when we were driving was right at freezing but was slowly getting colder. By the time I delivered, it had been snowing for about 8 hrs and the roads were covered. We were at the hospital connected to my doctor's office so it was easy to have Dr. Williams visit.
Pre- really bad contractions. By the time we got settled, it was about 7am and we saw Dr. Williams at 8. She thought we'd have Henry by noon since I had progressed from 4cm to 8 very quickly.
The last pictures of me before we both decided it was time for the camera to go away. I progressed to 9 quickly after they broke my water. By 10:30 am Henry had moved down and we were waiting. I was in a ton of pain and they kept making me lay down because Henry was so low the monitors couldnt stay on him. I felt better when I could move but laying down was excruciating so I got an epidural right at about 9-10cm.
Dr. Williams started coaching me through the final hour of pushing. Little did I know most of the nurses thought I'd have a c-section since most op babies who are "stuck" end up exhausting the momma. Dr. Williams told me no c-section but it was "go-time." After another intense hour, Henry Walker Owen took his first breath at 4:52pm on January 21, 2015!
During the chaos of labor, my iv came out so my arm was covered in dried blood. I was sweaty, sick, had runny makeup, but met my son in all my true glory! He was placed on my chest covered in goop, in total shock. I think I said, "Hi Baby" and lots of "Oh my gosh." Later a nurse told me I said, "Good thing you are cute!" In response to the effort we both went through! While some people describe a flood of love and tears, truthfully I felt more possessive than anything. I didn't want to give Henry up. He felt like he still belong with me. They had to take him to the evaluation station and warmers right next to my bed and I wanted to get up with him, but I started shaking and got sick as I was coming down from the labor. Brent got to participate in the measuring and weight while I recovered. Then I got my baby back and felt so much better.
After everyone left, Brent and I enjoyed a little time with Henry as our new family before we moved to the mother and baby ward. It was a really special time that I feel like will stay a vivid memory in my life.
Skin to skin getting to know Daddy































I love the birth story. I totally understand possessive momma. It's hard to give up that little baby!! Congrats on a natural birth.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures! So special how you captured everything with pictures....I've never seen that and love it so much. Seeing these made me cry so get ready for crazy Aunt Melissa when I get to him! You are wonderful and he is perfect!!
ReplyDelete