Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The weather outside is frightful

And we lack a fireplace so yeah. A major storm rolled through at three this afternoon and it dumped on us. Brent landed but the busses are three hours behind and MIA so he's camping at the airport.

I went to leave work and didn't have on socks or a coat. Insert major blizzard to story. I couldn't brush the snow off fast enough to see out the window. After sitting in the car and seeing this




I had a little "this is nuts" moment trying to brush the ice out of my hair. Then I realized I couldn't see again and I looked like this:



But I immediately stopped taking photos when I remember the car beeping for gas this morning. Since it was lovely out and I was planning to just get gas before I had a nice outdoor run and hell, maybe even leave the door open and enjoy fresh air. Plans cancelled. I spent 30 min white-knuckled traveling, spinning, and anti-lock breaking to go 1.5 miles. All the while the car ticked to "0 miles to empty." Lovely. I was still a bit away (like .5 miles but prob 10 min) when I decided it was necessary to confess my situation to Brent. The two things I do that drive Brent the most crazy are chomp chips and let my car run to empty. Brent was starting his 2 hr outdoor wait for a bus that would never come but was kind and didn't chastise my terrible habbit since I think he could tell I was so nervous. I chose the gas station that was all downhill thinking it would be very easy to slide in if I ran out. I made it and filled up with 21 gallons. I think I have a 21 gallon tank. This was the view after I was relieved I wasn't going to break down.



I made it home to find the power off and Mattie hungry (some things don't change). All in all, I'm glad all 3 of us are safe and warm. I hope to see Brent tomorrow some time when the 5-10 inches stop coming down with gale force winds.

Oh man there are days I miss Austin weather.

Posted from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Glad you and Brent and Mattie are all safe and sound! Brent should have quite the night at the airport. How annoying to be stuck 20 miles from your house (and wife). He might have an interesting blog after a night in the airport! Hope your power comes back on and you and Mattie don't turn into popsicles! I think you should work from home tomorrow! Love you! P.S. - What happened to "Broomfield doesn't get that much snow?? Its usually melted by noon??" Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Allie you must have been scared to death! Maybe you should keep your skiing stuff in the car so you can ski home if necessary. Glad you are safe. Hope Brent gets home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everyone is safe. Just keep thinking - spring is coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please tell me you have heat and that Brent made it home from the airport!

    ReplyDelete