Sunday, January 10, 2010

Photoshop, A New Endeavor, and a Random Accomplishment

So right now I am loading Photoshop on my desktop computer but I thought I would give you a preview of what doing anything on the desktop entails:




Matthew gets jealous of anything I do on the computer (both laptop and desktop) and I end up working around him because throwing him off does nothing. After about two minutes he lays down and just falls asleep! Silly cat.

So after planning our wedding for 2 years, I realized how much I learned. I literally took Dallas Weddings 301, 302, and 303. We spent hundreds of hours pouring over all of the vendors, resources, budgets, and organization. So many times I just wanted someone to say do this thing then when you are done, do this. Instead we tried to follow magazines, books, and all of this advice that wasn't really customized to Dallas or to the things that were important to me. I have also found that even though we got married in May, I still follow photography blogs, like wedding shows on tv, and think that weddings might be the most exciting, beautiful events planned (corporate conferences sure aren't ranking very high). So when Emily Drewry, the sister of one of my bridesmaids, sent me a message asking for advice, I figured why not use all of this fresh information still occupying space in my brain for good. I started sending Emily some advice via facebook messages then thought why not offer to really help coordinate and make recommendations step by step. The timing was perfect because Brent will start the semester tomorrow so when he is doing homework, I can help with wedding work. So far I am REALLY enjoying helping plan. It's so much easier to suggest ideas when you have experience and aren't second guessing how it will work out the day of. This also works out really well for me since one of my goals was taking steps towards careers that interest me! In the spirit of doing it and doing it well, I worked up a little logo to pull all of the documents together. Simple yet sufficient. I came up with the name because a wedding is the biggest holiday anyone plans for. It's like a birthday party times one million. Saying "congratulations" is lovely but is it special enough? You say congratulations when someone wins $2 on a lottery ticket or when they get an A on a spelling test. Best Wishes seems like you will never talk to them again to see how their future turns out. So I settled on Happy Wedding. It's what you want someone to have. A Happy wedding and a happy life. Since I'm not helping plan her life, I thought Happy Wedding was a perfect summary of what the day should be like!



Lastly and totally random but I consider it an accomplishment, I gave myself a manicure last night getting ready for the sales conference next week. I am pretty proud of me not biting my nails in a while. I wish I had put this on my goals list. Could have checked this one off ALREADY!!

Not an A+ on the paint job but it's good enough! Alright, hopefully I can post some before and afters once I master photoshop!

4 comments:

  1. I think you are getting the itch to start your own business and be a wedding planner! Good for you! You'd be a great wedding planner! Good luck working on the computer though because Mattie seems to be a permanent fixture! Hope you have fun at the Sales Conference - we'll miss your blogs while you're gone, but hope to see lots of pretty Florida pics when you get back (if the weather isn't too bad). Enjoy your week and give Mattie lots of pets before you leave! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. meow meow meow Mattie!!! LOVE the logo and I'm so glad you're working on something you're so GREAT at and interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cat is SPOILED ROTTEN but oh so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Happy Wedding is a great name and idea! I'm not married, but I love looking at all of the ideas out there probably because many of them could be used for any party really not just a wedding. There is such an overwhelming amount of ideas that I wish there was a way to save and organize them. Maybe you can think of a way to provide that service as part of your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete