Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Post Christmas Blog

Christmas was quite eventful this year. My family got stuck in Burkburnett in the Winter Blizzard of 2009 and had to wait it out for two days. They made it (after a super long drive) at about 2am on Saturday. Sunday morning we woke up and had "Christmas" with them and then went out to lunch. I had all of these great intentions of playing host and cooking a great meal and using my little reindeer plates but then when all my "fresh" ingredients were now three days old, everything wasn't looking too tasty.

This Christmas was hard not because it was our first away from Texas but because we got news on the 26th that Cole Shook, a very close family friend passed away after a long battle with spina biffida. He was a senior in high school. Brent got on a flight Sunday night and is in Texas until Friday. My heart aches for Kyle and the Shook/Ross family. Cole had a warrior's spirit and he will be greatly missed.

My parents and Brent were planning on going up to the mountains for a ski trip this week. I was going to come up a little later in my fixed, perfectly running car. Once Dad took a look at the poor explorer, he suggested a change to that plan and I headed up with them so if my car broke, they would be there. Rob still came to ski even though Brent is in TX so now he is the substitute son-in-law (who based on conversations last night might be a MUCH better skier than the real daughter or son-in-law... good trade for my seasoned skiing family). I am working remotely from the mountains so my "cubical" has a darn good view. Although, our offices at work have a magnificent view of the Flatirons so really both aren't shabby.

Oh and the Mattie update: he got lots of new cat nip and toys in his stocking so he must have been better than I thought/remembered! He is also up in the cabin with me because we couldn't get a pet sitter and one week was too long to leave him alone (heavens, he thinks one day is WAY too long and lets you know through incorrigible meows) Right now he is super angry because (until blogging) I have been working all day and only focusing on the computer and not the cat. Poor totally not neglected cat!

Tonight is Cole's wake and tomorrow is his funeral. Please say a prayer for Cole and his family in the next few days.

More pictures to come from Christmas.

P.S. I have the New Years/possibly Valentine's cards to send out. I think maybe I should just write "Merry Christmas 2010" and send them out now so I remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment